History&culture

History

http://www.destinacija-rogla.si/modules/gallery/uploads/OPLOTNICA%20iz%20zraka-dalec.JPGThe latest archaeological research reveals that man first came to the territory of today's Municipality of Oplotnica in the third millennium BC. Evidences of a settlement from roman times still remain, as 2000 years ago this area was an important intersection where all traffic and trade flowed from Italy through Noricum into Pannonia to the east and back. The fact that many Roman routes crossed the area reveals a lot. In Roman times, an inn stood in the Village of Čadram (Ragando). Statues of the pagan gods Jupiter and Mithra were discovered here as well as a pagan temple in the former “White Town” – the former Roman settlement. Even today, people speak of the fact that the “White Town” used to spread from Straža to Malahorna and later sank.

In modern history, Oplotnica is first mentioned as an economic centre of the area in 1182. Until 1782, it belonged to the Charterhouse Žiče. Only in the 19th century did woodcraft, trade and the quarry in nearby Cezlak lead the village into becoming a larger rural settlement, which today qualifies as a densely populated area. In the highest part of the municipality, one finds magmatic rock and plutonic rock called tonalite, which is quarried in Cezlak above Oplotnica. Just next to the quarry, we find Chislakite (the green plutonic rock), the only deposit of which is in Cezlaku pri Oplotnici. Chislakite is a somewhat less durable rock than tonalite and deposits of better quality have not been found.

Source: LTO Rogla – Zreče

“Black Kitchen” near St. Barbara Church

http://www.destinacija-rogla.si/modules/store/uploads/obc.oplotnica-001.jpgThe renewed sexton house is to be found near the St. Barbara Church. Once sextons resided there, but today it houses an ethnological museum. It was built in the 16th century, which we may assume from the “black kitchen” and the fact that there was still no construction date inscribed in the wooden beam in the “hijša”. As is typical for houses of the time, it was very plain and had a “hijša, lujpa”, a “black kitchen” and a cellar. “Lujpa” connects the “black kitchen” and the “hijša”. “Hijša” is a genuine farmer’s room with a bread stove, a closet, a spinning wheel, a sewing machine and a bed. Nowadays, individuals and societies use the sexton house for organising various activities that help to preserve old rural traditions.

Source: LTO Rogla – Zreče

Mansion in Oplotnica

http://www.destinacija-rogla.si/modules/store/uploads/kopija-2-od-slika-154.jpgThe Žice mansion was built between 1621 and 1631 by Carthusians from Žice, who dominated the area for 600 years. The mansion was their important economic centre. Its chambers were once lavishly decorated and equipped. A niche on the eastern exterior of the chapel holds a quality baroque sculpture of St. John the Baptist, which is believed to have been brought from the Charterhouse Žice after the First World War. The chapel deserves special attention, because of its well preserved stucco decorations. They are the most quality works of their kind in Slovenian Styria, closely associated with the tomb of Emperor Ferdinand II in Graz, because the stucco decorations of the crypt closely resemble those from Oplotnica. Once, the chapel had lavish equipment and numerous oil paintings. The forged fence is especially well known. It is the only piece left, because it was stored in the attic. The chapel also used to have an altar dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The mansion was completely restored in 2010 with the help of European funding.

Source: LTO Rogla – Zreče

Church of St. John the Baptist

http://www.destinacija-rogla.si/modules/store/uploads/december_00.jpgThe initial church reaches as far back as the early Gothic or perhaps even the 12th century. The oldest written record is from 1487. In 1731, the chapel of the Mother of God was added to the old church in Čadram. In 1762, the Čadram Parish was founded. The church was brought down in 1937, because it was in a poor state. With the money from selling the material of the old church, an 8m long chapel was built in its place. It could accommodate up to 50 people but was demolished by the Germans during the war. The new church was built during 1895 and 1899. It was designed by J. Pascher. The ground plan of the church has the shape of a Latin cross. The Stations of the Cross had been made for the previous church, the Mission Cross (1520) also. The church is one of the largest and most beautiful churches in the Maribor Parish.

Source: LTO Rogla – Zreče

Church of St. Nicholas

http://www.destinacija-rogla.si/modules/store/uploads/cerkev-sv.-miklavza.jpgIt is considered a precious monument of our cultural heritage. Its origin dates back to the first half of the 14th century. Its interior design deserves special attention, especially the fresco of the Three Wise Men and the wooden pulpit. A painting of Oljska Gora from 1495 is also well known. It is one of the most important preserved paintings from the early Gothic period.

Up to the beginning of the 20th century, the church had only rammed earth flooring. Paving was carried out in 1914. On the southern outer side of the nave, there is a fresco of St. Christopher (an indispensable image of early Gothic churches) that has all but disappeared. It was a comfort to people; whoever devoutly gazed at his image in the morning was spared from dying an unfortunate death that day.

Source: LTO Rogla – Zreče

Pilgrim Church of St. Mary Mother of God at Prihova

http://www.destinacija-rogla.si/modules/store/uploads/cerkev_prihova.jpgIt was built at the middle of the 15th century. Construction of this extremely beautiful building was encouraged by a cherry tree blossoming on Christmas, which was seen by the people as God’s hint to erect a church here. First, a shrine was built at this location, then a church in 1464 – today’s church nave. From 1562 to 1564, a bell tower was added, at the beginning of the 17th century, the flat ceiling was replaced with an arched one and around 1650, the altar of Mary the Patron was installed. The main donor for the construction of the church at Prihova was Wolfgang Valzej from a family of wealthy German earls. In 1997, the church was covered with new schist. An important addition was the organs with an enhanced quire and a new quire fence, which were added in the Holy Jubilee Year 2000.

Source: LTO Rogla – Zreče

Fun fact: Mansion in Oplotnica - The chapel deserves special attention, because of its well preserved stucco decorations. They are the most quality works of their kind in Slovenian Styria, closely associated with the tomb of Emperor Ferdinand II in Graz, because the stucco decorations of the crypt closely resemble those from Oplotnica.
 

Destination suggestions

Top 3 destinations
1/3
Nova Gorica
Slovenia
Bled
Slovenia
Triglav National Park
Slovenia