History & culture
The town itself was set up on both banks of the Sava, the longest Slovenian river. The old town centre has been restored, giving the town the image of a neat administrative centre and a wider regional dimension. The newer part of the town, called Videm, got its more complete picture with the completion of the nuclear power plant (NPP) and the largest paper mill in the country. The same industrial area includes the reconstructed and modernised Brestanica power plant and the card-board factory with its business operations at the European market level. With the development of entrepreneurial flair, commerce, small businesses, agriculture and tourism, the economic development has been on the rise.
Source: TIC Krško
Neviodunum in Drnovo
At the north-eastern part of the village Drnovo, beside the former riverbed of the river Sava from around the 5th century BC to the 1st century BC laid the Roman city and port of Neviodunum. The city stretched over approximately 4 hectares and had a forum, basilica, baths, wells, water mains, sewers and buildings with mosaics. The harbour had two piers and a large warehouse. A sword from the early Bronze Age comes from Drnovo or its immediate surroundings; a spearhead is mentioned at the same time. We have also found a few small items of the Urnfield culture. Neviodunum has been heavily excavated since the middle Ages. Most of the findings from Drnovo are in the National Museum in Ljubljana, but some are also kept at the Joaneum in Graz, at the Natural History Museum in Vienna, the Regional Museum in Celje and the Posavje Museum in Brežice.
Fun fact: Cave Ajdovska jama -
Because this is the largest birthing colony of this species of bat in Slovenia, Ajdovska cave is classified in the Natura 2000 network and with its surrounding is proclaimed as a natural asset. The cave served in the past as a sanctuary and last resting place of the deceased. This is confirmed by archaeological finding that rank the cave among the major Neolithic sites in Europe.
Hočevar square Hočevar square
Because there are two faculties at the Hočevar Square – Faculty of logistics and Faculty of energy technology in the building, which was built in 1877 as the city school, Krško became an important centre of higher education in the Posavje region. It was built by Martin Hočevar, and his statue graces the centre of the square. Already during the time of Valvasor the church of Saint John the Evangelist stood in the square. It was renewed after it became a parish church in 1894. In 1899 the church was decorated with three medallions, two lunettes and a statue of Mary made by Ivan Zajec who some years later created the Prešeren monument in Ljubljana. His study was made possible by Josipina Hočevar.
It was built in 1609. It is the only example of a late renaissance bourgeois building in Krško. In February 1693 it was bought by the famous polymath Janez Vajkard Valvasor who died in it the same year. Later it became the town’s infirmary for many years. Before the Second World War, Auman, a local, kept a very rich museum collection in it, which included the carriage of Maria Theresia, the town insignia, findings from Libna and other. The collection was moved to Brežice in 1949 and is now part of the current Posavje museum. In 1894 the people of Krško placed a commemoration plate to Valvasor on the façade and in 1966 a statue of him was erected in front of the current Valvasor complex. The commemoration plate and the statue are both works of the trained sculptor and medallist Vladimir Štoviček from Leskovec. The neighbouring building was supposed to be the house of Adam Bohorič, who ran a school in it.
During the years from 1882 to 1912 the cultural worker, politician and jurist Dr. Janez Mencinger lived in this building, which is an example of baroque residential architecture. The façade displays a commemorative plate to the write, while his gravestone and grave are found in the nearby park of deserving townspeople of Krško. According to latest research, the polymath Janez Vajkard Valvasor spent his last years in the southern part of the house and died there in 1693.
City park Krško Dvorana v parku
The park reveals likenesses of important people that influenced the development of the city and its surroundings. In one part of the park named Gaj zaslužnih občanov (Grove of deserving citizens) we can ‘meet’ the psychologist Mihajl Rostohar, the trained sculptor and medallist Vladimir Štoviček, the educator and grammarian Adam Bohorič, the translator and writer Jurij Dalmatin, the botanist France Vardijan and the patroness Josipina Hočevar. The park was once a graveyard with the church of the Holy Cross. The church still stands, but has not been used for religious purposes since the end of the Second World War. After the renewal in 2003 it was named Dvorana v parku (Park hall) and various cultural and other events are held there (it is possible to get married there, too).
The old town Krško
Krško evolved between the Sava River and the hill. Its important strategic point defined its meaning through the centuries and on March 5, 1477 the former square was declared a city. All that is left of the former castle above the town are a few stones. The city centre is characterised by architecturally prominent buildings and other interesting houses. Next to the town hall, which has been used for municipal administration since the 19th century, there is the beautiful secession façade of the Župenkova house (also known as the Scagneti house – named after the builder) on the Cesta krških žrtev street.
Matija Gubec square
Matija Gubec square is the main square in Krško with a statue of Matija Gubec on it. Different cultural, sports and entertainment events take place near this statue that was designed by Tone Kralj in 1977. The statue is dedicated to the events of 1573 when baron Turn defeated the peasant’s army on the Krško polje with the help of the Uskoks and caught the leaders of the revolt. The Krško Cultural Centre is situated next to the square.
Jurija Dalmatin memorial park
The Jurij Dalmatin Memorial park hosts a four meter high sculpture dedicated to the Slovenian reformers from the Protestant period with a special emphasis on the role of Jurij Dalmatin, Primož Trubar and Adam Bohorič. It represents a symbolic bridge between the two city banks and a beautiful city space and meeting point in the densely populated urban area.
Mausoleum of Anastazij Grün, Leskovec pri Krškem
In the vicinity of the Šrajbarski Turn castle there is the mausoleum of the poet and politician count Anton Auersperg – Anastazij Grün. The mausoleum was designed by the city architect Konrad Lueff in 1877 in the classic historical spirit.Galerije in muzeji
Galleries and museums
The City museum Krško
At the entrance to Krško, the Valvasor complex greets you. Composed of three houses of Valvasor, Jarnovič, and Kaplan, they are architecturally the best part of the historical side of the city. The City museum of Krško has its premises in the Valvasor complex, where a permanent exhibition by the sculptor and medallist Vladimir Stoviček is displayed, who donated part of his artworks to the Municipality of Krško to be displayed in the Valvasor house. During the renovation of the castle of Brestanica, the City museum of Krško will hold an exhibition on Slovenian deportees, which show German imperial aspirations for Slovenian territory, and an exhibition on Trappist monks, a reformed Cistercian order commanded by strict rules of monastic life while caring for the regional development.
The Krško Gallery is located in the former church of the Holy Spirit built in 1777. Since 1939, it evolved into the city museum, which was when it was abandoned as a church. Since 1966, the City Gallery is located in it hosting various exhibitions, especially those in balance with the interior. The City museum of Krško and the Krško gallery are part of the Krško Cultural Centre and operate under its management.
The Rajhenburg castle
The Rajhenburg castle is the first medieval castle mentioned in writing in Slovenia in texts from 895. The original castle was demolished and then newly rebuilt in the early 12th century. The owners of the castle kept changing and each left their trace. The largest impression was left by the Trappist monks, who lived here from 1881 until 1941. They produced cheeses, chocolates and liqueurs. The museum is located in the Rajhenburg castle, the oldest medieval castle in Slovenia, which is already mentioned in documents in 895. Guests can view three permanent exhibitions at the castle.
The Turn Manor
The Turn Manor, a magnificent three-storey tower building with evident Romanesque construction stands under the castle hill at the confluence of the Brestanica and Sava River. The castle was built and operated by the knights of Brestanica. The manor was first mentioned in 1346, when the Archbishop of Salzburg lost it in a feud to Viljem of Brestanica. Today’s image of the building is from the 17th century, when the building development was concluded. The building is Renaissance and Baroque in character, with various alterations and extensions.
The Krško Castle
As a fort, it was probably built as early as 895, but it was certainly in the possession of the Counts Bogenski in 1154. This castle was originally owned by the family of Hema of Krško from Carinthia. The importance of the castle so drastically diminished over time that it was already abandoned and deteriorating by the time of Valvasor. By the start of the 19th century it was in ruins, and today only an occasional rock is visible, yet the former castle location is still a dominant viewpoint at the entrance to the city of Krško.
Fun fact: The Raka Castle
- The original castle is one of the oldest in Slovenia. It is first mentioned as the property of the Raka lords in 1248. Peasant rebels looted and burned it in 1515. It was refurbished in the 17th century by the Vernek lords. It is a square two-storey building with an arcade courtyard and is fairly well preserved.
Source: TIC Krško