National Hall

A Neo-Renaissance building, which was designed by the Czech architect Vladimir Hrasky and built at the end of the 19th century, is located at the Princes of Celje Square (Trg celjskih knezov).

In the time of Old Austria, the National Hall in Celje was a cultural and social centre of the Slovenian middle class, and now it is home to the Municipality of Celje and the Administrative Unit of Celje. In the corner of the National Hall, there is the Celje Fine Art Museum.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Loan Society

The Loan Society is the most important building in Celje from the period between the World Wars.

It was built between 1928–1929 according to the plans of the famous Slovenian Architect Jože Plečnik and his student Vinko Lenarčič. The wing on the corner of the Stanetova and Prešernova Streets is emphasised with pillar balconies with the Christ on the Cross rising above them.

The wing along Stanetova Street includes an event hall that has hosted the Metropol cinema since 1936.  

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Plague Monument of St. Mary on the Main Square

The plage monument of St. Mary stands on the place where a pillar of shame intended to punish criminals and minor offenders was placed already at the start of the 16th century.

The statue of Virgin Mary stands on a high pillar with a triangular base, and next to the pillar are two baroque statues of St. Rok and St. Florian and the statue of St. Joseph from the 19 century. The sides of the base contain inscriptions from the previous century in Latin, German and Slovene languages.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Celje Municipal Savings Bank

This wonderful Neo-Renaissance palace was designed by Hans Fraueneder following a Viennese example and it was built in 1887 by the Celje Municipal Savings Bank. For a period of time, it hosted the headquarters of the administrative court for the territory of Slovenia.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Town Hall

The 17th century building was bought by the town authorities in the first half of the 19th century. They turned it into a town hall through thorough reconstruction works. Its special feature is a façade in the classic style with a balcony on eight pillars made from a Roman one. Today, the building is home to the Celje Museum of Recent History.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Post Office

The three-storey, double-wing post office palace was built at the end of the 19th century using the designs of a Vienna office engaged in the construction of post offices. During the construction works, the site unearthed a complex of an Antique style early Christian basilica dating from the 4th or 5th century.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

The Celje Hall

Initially called the “German House”, it was built by Celje Germans in the first decade of the 20th century in the neo-gothic style using the plan of architect Peter Pavel Brang. Until the dissolution of Old Austria, it was considered the social centre of the Celje German bourgeoisie. After World War I, the German House was renamed the Celje Hall. Today, the building hosts the headquarters of the Institution for Cultural Events and Tourism Celeia Celje and the Tourist Information Centre (TIC Celje).

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Old County Palace

The most beautiful Renaissance building in town was built between 1580 and 1603 along the southern part of the town walls, on the site of the administrative and economic buildings of the Lower Castle in Celje.

Arcade corridors were added at the start of the 17th century. In 1869, the Municipality of Celje bought the building and since then the purpose of the building was changed on several occasions. In the 30s of the 20th century, the famous “Celje ceiling” was discovered during the renovation works. After the Second World War, the building became home to the Celje Regional Museum.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Early Christian Baptistery

The early Christian baptistery with an octagonal baptismal pool (the end of the 4th or beginning of the 5th century) is one of the few confirmed early Christian elements found in town centres of the late antiquity in Slovenia. From two sides, two steps lead to a pool surrounded with marble plates. In this part of the town, there was most likely a large church complex, a part of which was this baptistery.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Towers of the Medieval Town Walls

Theatre Tower

The north-western guard tower (second half of the 15th century) of the former town walls is today a part of the Slovene National Theatre, which was built in 1885. Already since 1825, the tower, which used to serve as a torture chamber, has been used by travelling families of actors. In 1849, the tower was used as theatre for the first-time play in the Slovene language – Linhart’s play “Županova Micka”. (Theatre Tower)

Water Tower

The south-eastern corner guard tower, also called Almshouse Tower (second half of the 15th century). In addition to the parts of roman tablets, a sign indicating the level of water during disastrous flood of 1672 is built into the tower. (Razlagova ulica)

Guard Towers

A partially walled intermediate tower from the 16th century was sold at public auction at the end of the 18th century. (Razlagova ulica)

The north-eastern corner guard tower of the medieval town walls. (Gubčeva ulica)

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Museums and Galleries

In Celje, visitors can take a walk in the ambient setting of Ulica Obrtnikov Street in the Museum of Recent History in Celje and also among the remains of the Roman architecture and the town street of Celeia, A Town Under a Town. Children of all ages mustn't miss Herman’s Den (Hermanov Brlog), which is the only museum for children in Slovenia. A part of the permanent collection in the Celje Regional Museum is adapted to visitors with eye damage. Three exhibition grounds at the Centre for Contemporary Art in Celje periodically organise exhibitions of the recent and distant past of fine arts.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Celje Contemporary Art Gallery

With representative exhibition rooms at the Celje Prince's Mansion, the Celje Contemporary Art Gallery is intended for large, study-based, thematic and transparent displays of works of domestic and foreign artists from the recent-past and contemporary fine arts eras. It strives to achieve a flexible, up-to-date programme network, connects with the broader and international area and creates conditions for provocative visual presentations.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Celje Fine Arts Gallery

The Celje Fine Arts Gallery is intended for contemporary art and depicts current art production that reflects the spirit of the time, exceeds formal and aesthetic aspects and is affected by the development of digital and virtual technologies as well as radical changes in the concept of that individual, society and life.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Celje Museum of Contemporary History

The Celje Museum of Contemporary History is in charge of the movable cultural heritage of Celje and its surroundings connected with the history and ethnology from the start of the 20th century onwards. In addition to permanent and occasional exhibitions, the Museum also organises field exhibitions.

The permanent exhibition “Life in Celje” (Živeti v Celju) presents an overview of the history of Celje and its population in the 20th century. Visitors can take a walk through craftsmen’s’ workshops, a market and a town apartment in the ambient setting of Ulica Obrtnikov Street. On individual days, the workshops become lively when craftsmen and women present their equipment, products and skills that they used in their profession.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Celje Regional Museum

Ever since 1882, the Celje Regional Museum  has been collecting, keeping and displaying the cultural heritage of Celje and the broader Celje region. In addition to permanent exhibitions in the Old Manor House and the Prince’s Mansion, the museum also takes preserves field collections and periodically organises exhibitions.

The cultural collection and collection pertaining to the history of art in the late renaissance palace called the Old Manor House presents furniture, pictures, graphics, statues, pots, weapons and other “attractive items” from various styles in the time period from the 13th century until the end of the 19th century. The most exquisite piece of the collection is the famous Celje Ceiling painting in the gala hall of the Old Manor House dating from the beginning of the 17th century.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Castles and Mansions

Castle walls are currently used as information points presenting various excellent and unforgettable events. You can visit summer outdoor events at the exceptional Celje Old Castle and Podsreda Castle.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Prince’s Mansion

In the 14th and 15th centuries, the mansion served as the residence of the Counts of Celje, later Princes. After their death, the building was home to the Grand Duke’s Office from the 15th century onwards, and in the mid-18th century it was turned into a barracks.

The today’s building has experienced many changes, with major ones during the time of Mother Theresa. Today, a part of the Prince’s Mansion hosts the Celje Contemporary Art Gallery, and in the basement you can visit the archaeological exhibition site Celeia – a town under a town (Celje Regional Museum), which is the largest exhibition of the remains of the roman Celea “in situ” to this day.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Celje Old Castle

Celje Old Castle, which was built by Vovbržans above the old square in the second half of the 12th or the beginning of the 13th century, was taken over by Lords Žovneški after the death of the last Vovbržan. The new owners changed their names to the Counts of Celje after having moved to Celje and turned the castle into a modern residential building.

They also built a 23-metre high four-storey tower that was later named Friderich’s Tower. After the end of the Counts of Celje era, the appearance and purpose of the castle were changed on several occasions: the roofing was taken off and quarry stones were used to build the Novo Celje Mansion; the castle was also used as quarry. In the mid 19th century, Styria nobility took over the tower and the endeavours for its renovation started after the Celje Museum Society was established in 1882 and that continues to this day.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Churches and Monasteries

The Baroque era has given Slovenia eternal character. The most important church monuments in the Land of Celje are the church with the underground sanctuary on Gora Oljka, the sunny-coloured church on Sladka Gora and the Calvary and Church of St. Rok (Šmarje pri Jelšah).

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Church of St. Joseph

The church was built by the Celje middle class in 1680 to express their gratitude to the saint for having put an end to the plague in the city.

Its design is simple, and it is beautifully emphasised by two bells on the western façade. The church, which is known as one of the most beautiful Baroque-style churches in Slovenia, is also a popular pilgrimage centre. The main pilgrimage gatherings are on 19 March and 1 May (Jožefovo).

From the mid-19th century, Jožef Hill has been a place where Lazarists carry out their mission (spiritual enlightenment, organ school, protection of the elderly) in the modern spiritually enlightened centre St. Joseph’s Home. Since the establishment of the Celje diocese, the Home has also been performing the mission of diocesan pastoral centre.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje


There is a famous Calvary on St. Joseph’s Hill (Jožefov hrib). It comprises four (of former five) chapels and Golgotha on top of the hill.

The statues were made by sculptor Mihael Pogačnik together with the chapels in 1717. Two hundred years later, they were restored by sculptor Franc Berneker, who also newly sculptured the statue of Mary Magdalene.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Church of St. Daniel

Today a cathedral, this was originally a Roman single-nave church that received its current appearance in the second half of the 20th century after many renovations throughout its history. In 2011, it also received a chapel devoted to Bishop Anton Martin Slomšek. The church contains an exceptional gothic jewel – the chapel of Mother of Sorrows (from the end of the 14th century) with rich stonecutting decoration and a stone statue of the Pieta (1415), high-quality medieval paintings and a Venetian high altar (1743).

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje

Fun fact: Herman’s Den Children’s Museum (Hermanov brlog) - Herman’s Den operates in the same building as the Celje Museum of Recent History. Being the only children’s museum in Slovenia, it attracts children up to the age of 12 (including all who are young at heart). Children are guided through the museum by Herman the Fox, the ever present museum’s mascot: in the exhibition area, storage room, playroom, theatre, sweetshop and elsewhere. The Museum draws its content from the past and present.

Source: Zavod Celeia Celje


Destination suggestions

Top 3 destinations
Nova Gorica
Triglav National Park